Sunday, February 3, 2008

Hear No Evil

It's been a really long time since I last wrote and so much has happened! I want to tell you all about Halloween and Christmas and my teeth and blowing raspberries and the snow--but everyone only seems interested in my ears these days. The rumors are spreading quickly, so I should probably set the record straight.

I might be deaf, or profoundly hearing impaired. I can't hear sounds, even really loud ones. Apparently people and car horns and iPods (whatever those are) all make the air vibrate. My ears are supposed to notice these vibrations and convince my brain that there's something called sound happening. My ears, however, are only cute.

My ears may never hear sounds. Dad says that's okay, because I won't have to hear all of the mean, awful, ugly sounds that exist in the world. I won't have to hear crying or gunshots or curse words or rude people burping. Mom wishes that I could hear all of the happy things like chirping birds and her lullabies and Duran Duran.

I really appreciate how concerned everyone has been since they found out the news.

I know some of you are really sad that I'm different, but I haven't changed! I think I've always been this way. The only thing that's changed is the fact that everyone finally knows. Each one of us is different in our own way; this is how I am different. That's the only thing we all have in common: we're all different! I'm still the same extraordinarily adorable girl that loves to laugh and eat bananas and smile at everyone I meet.

I've seen a few new doctors lately and they have poked around in my ears and hooked wires up to me and filled my ears with weird pink plastic stuff. They think someday I might be able to use my ears to hear sounds if I get a little help from hearings aids or this thing called a cochlear implant.

Until then, I'm learning to hear with my eyes and my fingers and my nose. My eyes are really good at hearing things and I can certainly talk with my hands! (Hopefully Mom and Dad will figure out what I've been saying to them!)

If it's possible, I wouldn't mind if my ears could pick up on those vibrations in the air. But if I can't, I know I'll still be just as happy because my family and friends love me so much!

5 comments:

grandmaj said...

Dearest Maddie, you are perfect in our eyes and those of God's. Love, Grandma and GrandpaJ.

Jetjohnson said...

Madeleine,
First off, it's not just your ears that are cute...you're there 100%.
Second, I'm glad to know that you're waiting for us adults to get on board with Baby Signs then ASL. Uncle Andy, Uncle Stan and I have about 100 words ready for you. I think Uncle Andy will be able to chat with you at your birthday party.

Love,
Aunt Suzanne

Gail said...

Aloha Maddy,
A little Chickadee also told me about your hearing. I am very sad to hear the news, but Dad is right. You won't hear all the negative things in this world. However, as Mom mentioned, you'll miss the chirping birds, the sound of the breeze blowing through the trees, or squirrels quarreling in the bush. If I may, I'll keep you in my prayer because God's Will be done. Take care and keep us posted on your blog.

love & aloha,

Auntie Gail

GrandmaD said...

Hi Sweetie,
It was so good to get your blog. Don't you worry about your ears, they may be different from someone else's but you are still wonderful and perfect. Your ears may help keep all of us older folks from getting stiff fingers as we learn to talk a new language. I'm so glad you have a good mom and dad to help you as you learn. Grandpa and I will start learning your words so we can be ready to talk to you when we come. We love you so much. Grandpa and GrandMa D

GrandmaD said...

Hello Sweetie,
Grandma and Grandpa D dropping by to say a Happy Valentine's Day to you on your first Valentine's Day.
As you know you will always be our Valentine cause you stole our hearts even before you were born. By the way you mention ice cream and bananas in your blog. Could it be that you like both of those? Grandma D thinks they are one of the most enjoyable things to eat in this whole world. Looking forward to sharing a bowl of the good stuff with you. Love to you on this Valentine's Day and always, Grandma and Grandpa D