Friday, April 18, 2008

Catching up...

As I get older, I'm realizing how difficult it can be to keep up with this blog. By the time I get home from daycare, Mom and Dad get home from work, and my little brother/sister gets done doing whatever it is that keeps making Mom's tummy bigger, we're all pretty tired!

Plus, I'd rather be walking! Okay, not exactly walking, but pretty close! Give me a wall or a divan (whatever that is) or a good strong Mom or Dad hand, and I can go anywhere I want now on two legs. I've given up my army commando/iguana crawl and I move around on my hands and my knees when I'm not walking. Dad says he's a little disappointed, because when I dragged my stomach on the ground it helped polish the floor!

I meet with two really nice ladies every week. There names are Liz and Lynn.

Liz comes on Tuesday nights and teaches us sign language. She's deaf just like me and doesn't speak with her mouth at all. Gabby and LuCinda and Alyssa all have joined us for the lessons. Everyone is learning really fast! Right now we're learning Eric Carle's book Have You Seen My Cat? Next week we start with Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Mom and Gabby go on walks after the class and I hang out with Dad. I like when Mom gets to see her friends and Dad isn't so bad I guess. :)

Lynn comes on Fridays and plays with me. I'm not really sure what she does but she always brings new toys! She watches what I'm doing, signs to me, asks Mom lots of questions and gives her advice about how to communicate with me.

Speaking of communication, I know sign language now! Did you know that? I've noticed Mom and Dad moving their mouths for a long time and I know they were trying to tell me something but I just couldn't figure it out. Lately, though, I've noticed that they also do funny things with their hands. Did you know when you squeeze your fists that your parents will bring you milk? Or that when you touch your fingers together in front of you that you get more of whatever you want? And if I want to stop what I'm doing all I have to do is wave my hands in the air like a magician and presto! All done! So far I can sign milk, eat, more, light, yes, all done, drink, water, and I understand a whole bunch more that my fingers can't quite do yet.

I can't imagine why people don't try to communicate with each other. I think that's why they get in fights or get mad, because they don't listen! Or are some people embarrassed about their voices? Is that the problem? Maybe everyone should learn to sign.

Mom and I go to another sign language class on Thursday nights where a nice man (who's also deaf like me!) teaches a bunch of adults that if you sign the word "hungry" wrong then you're actually saying "I'm hungry for you." Mom wouldn't explain what that means but I don't think people should eat each other! That's bad communication, too!

Well, that's it for now. I'm going to try really hard to post more soon. Thanks to everyone who's been asking about me.

1 comment:

grandmaj said...

Maddie, you are growing up so fast. You're one smart cookie. Can't wait to see you.
Love, Grandma & GrandpaJ