Monday, July 14, 2008

Sounds of Silence

Today has been a very unusual day!

I went to visit Alison, one of my audiologists. She helped Mom and Dad put together the outside part of my cochlear implant, the part with a microphone and batteries to shock my snails into helping me hear. It took forever--we waited in the waiting room (I guess that's what they're for), we waited in an office, we waited while I wore the new gadget, and then--

--Alison left the room. What was she doing? It was getting really hot with me and Mom and my baby brother/sister inside Mom's belly and Dad and Grandma and Grandpa J and some intern (whatever that is) all cramped in that tiny office, and I was getting really bored with the cups of little plastic clowns and the Mr. Potato Head with eyes and ears too big for his body and--

--then something happened in my brain. A funny tingling, jingling, clangy sort of thing. Alison was standing at the door waving a metal cup on a handle, and inside the cup a metal ball was banging against the cup. It wasn't a cup. It was a bell. AND I HEARD IT. At least that's what I think was going on!

Suddenly, I realized that everything around me--this colorful row of wooden blocks Mom called a xylophone, the clowns in their cups, all of the people, their hands when they clap, I mean just about everything was making a sound. I didn't cry, but it was a lot to handle at once.

Still, have I heard things before? Maybe in a dream once. I just don't know. It seems right, it feels comfortable.

Okay, actually the wacky piece of plastic that I have to wear isn't comfortable at all. It's irritating and certainly throws off my feng shui (whatever that is). But hearing, well, I'm really glad that I can now!

When my device falls off, all of the sounds disappear, and I'm back in my old oh-so-quiet world. Mom and Dad put the device back on, and with it returns all of the noise. I'm living in two worlds now, and they're both so different. Dad says I'm lucky; some people spend their entire lives looking for silence and never find it. I have it with one quick tug behind my ear.

I'm very happy that the big cut on my head worked and my snails are doing their job again! The big cut has healed enough that I can go back to Fisher Learning Center tomorrow and play with all my new friends! I wonder what they all sound like?

3 comments:

elizabeth said...

This is a great blog. I hope you'll consider adding it to the aggregator at Deaf Village (www.deafvillage.com) -- we'd love to have you as part of our community!

Gail said...

Maddy that's great you can hear with the help of the device. I'm sorry it's not comfortable but it's still a good thing.

Did your new brother/sister come? What is his/her name?

I bet your parents are very busy. But, I would love to see photos of you and your new baby brother/sister.

Take care and keep blogging.

Gail

Gail said...

Happy Holidays, Maddy, Maddy's sister, Lisa and Ron! I hope that you are all doing well. I can imagine how busy you must be but I would love to hear from you soon.

Have a wonderful Christmas and a happy, healthy & prosperous 2009!

Gail Sasao